Mighty Magiswords is an American flash animated TV series that is created by Kyle A. Carrozza (creator of "MooBeard: The Cow Pirate" from Nickelodeon's Random! Cartoons) specifically for Cartoon Network Video being the network's first original series specifically for online. The series officially premiered online on May 6, 2015 with clips also shown in the app, Cartoon Network Anything.
On June 13, 2016, it has been confirmed that Mighty Magiswords has been picked up as a full-length TV series.
The series is about Vambre and Prohyas, a brother and sister team of “Warriors for Hire”, who go on hilarious adventures,Temp-Jobs and crazy quests to collect magical swords. They go around the world to get many swords, when they are on quests.
Background and production
Mighty Magiswords is created by Kyle A. Carrozza, who is an animator, voice actor, musician and storyboard artist who currently writes songs for The FuMP and was previously the creator, storyboard artist and voice actor for his short "MooBeard: The Cow Pirate" on Nicktoons Network series, Random! Cartoons.. Produced in Flash animation, this series is the first original cartoon show on Cartoon Network made specifically for online. Luke Ski, comedy musician, is also a storyboard revisionist for the show as him and Kyle run a podcast together titled "Kyle and Luke Talk About Toons". These characters were created by Kyle when he was at high school in 1996 and was pitched in 2005-2007 under the names "Legendary Warriors for Hire" "Dungeons and Dayjobs &Crystal Warriorsbefore Cartoon Network Picked up in 2012.
Cast and characters
- Kyle A. Carrozza - Prohyas Warrior, Announcer, Grup the Dragon, Nohyas, Old Man Oldman, Slug Burger Clerk, Tree-J, Hambus, Zombie Pumpkin Magisword, Robopiggeh, Oinkus Oinkus Magisword, Attractive Voice Magisword, Snowmanpire, Underground Handbeast, Goomer, Frankylo, Attacktus, Prug, Squirrels, Helmut ("Warriors for Hire" only), Translator, Prohyas' Stomach ("Vambre's Brain" only), Biblia Tick, Monkey Chunks, Swish Navy Magisword (voice), Naso (voice), Birdcall Magisword, Plunderbite, Pirate 7, Long Underwear Wolf, Wolf Translator, Reginald, Handbre, Wobbles, Parrot Scissor Magisword, Frank Paul, Bunky Bunkington III, Nord, Weird Kid, Officer Zidane Fordor, Officer Eightdor, Cool Ghoul, Francis Thingshooter, Robot Face 2, Obelisk Voice, Galactonian Clerk, Fitz
- Grey Griffin - Vambre Warrior, Zange, Young Vambre, Mysterious Hooded Woman, Füd, Pirate 5, Pirate 4, Pirate 3, Borp, Sweet Kotassian, Service Robot, Wall Robot, Delivery Robot, Eunice, Barnacle 2,Witch Luna
- Eric Bauza - Hoppus, Phil, King Rexxtopher, Landfill, Surveillance Dinos, Orange Speckled Stegosaurus, Ninja Kotassian, Vampire Kotassian, Rob Heist, Customer, Chad the Stuff Findin' Ghost, Alex, Justin Bottlenose
- Mr. Lawrence - Ralphio, Jest-O The Best-O, Dinosaur, Loch Mess Monster, Helmut (TV Series), Matt ("Bad Man Oldman" only), Carnivorous Plant Magisword, Worm, Kotassian 2, General Nok Nok, Squideo
- Lindsay Smith-Carrozza - Witchy Simone, Lady Hiss, Crowd Woman, Tiny Squid, Witchy Sparkles' Bear, Homeworld Jades, Barnacle 3
- Arin Hanson - Gateaux, Delivery Man Steve, Zonq, Fibby Croax, Sir Liesalott, Krakov, Boss Slime
- Phil LaMarr - Noville, Long James Pirate Mayor, Sidney, Old Guy, The Tall Uninteresting One, Cornan
- Hal Lublin - Omnibus, Smashroom, Ice Posey, Pirate 01, Pirate 02, Pirate 08, Shopkeeper, Toad, Crunch Dislikus
- Mary Faber - Morbidia (TV Series), Gracie, Costumer#4
- Luke Ski - Skullivan, Docky Boardman, Nyando, Cattus the One Blade, Dr. Green Stalk, Weather Gnome, Cat Guy, Pugcake, Borfl Guard
- Candi Milo - Morbidia ("Too Many Warriors" only), Dolphin Magisword (EP02 only), Vambre's Brain, Grand Poobah, Mascott, Queen Salmon Ella, Mrs. Tundrala, Transylbaby 1, Ice Cream and Witch, Justin Bottlenose Posse Person 2, Barnacle 4, Sealdebeast
- Jim Cummings - Keeper of the Mask, Buford, Matt ("Docky & Buford's Decidedly Pathetic Adventure" only), Face of Barren Faceland, Talking Cauldron, Wolf, Hord Forlom, Pupasa Monster
- Townsend Coleman - Neddy the Mallet, Beeswax Crown, Cricket, Red Herring, Galoot, Matt ("What's My Name?" only)
- Jess Harnell - Bag Puppets, Füd Fit Theme Sing Singer, The Floretifier, Matt ("Broccoli Punch" only), Baghyas, Bag Puppet Omnibus
- Ken Mitchroney - Mr. Packard, House, Sales Deer
- Tom Kenny - Taunting Jester Magisword
- Kyle Massey - Mr. Spoony, Brachiosaurus, Ankylosaurus
- Kate Micucci - Penny Plasm, Baby, Bimm
- Bill Kopp - Man Fish the Fish Man, Eel, Centipede 1 & 2, Seaslug-Chan, Justin Bottlenose Posse Person 1
- Dana Gould - Norman Warrior, Fish Pirate
- Renee Albert - Kablammica Warrior
- Judy Tenuta - Queen Porcina
- Pete Holmes - Teri Gargantuan, Thaddeus Thirdwell III
- Brian Posehn - Tracy, Logan
- Fred Stoller - Bobbipher, Robot Face 1
- "Weird Al" Yankovic - Papa Kotassian
- Erica Luttrell - Glori,Costumer 2
- Rider Strong - Familiar
- Jack McBrayer - Snax, Orb-Bot, Matt ("Continue?" only)
- Gilbert Gottfried - Prohyas' Stomach (TV Series)
- Eddie Pepitone - DeBizz
- Dave Coulier - Murray Williams
- Rob Paulsen - Professor Cyrus, Enchanted Tree, Singing Snowman, Mr. Tundrala, Weather Gnome, Tentacle Monster
- Jeff Bennett - Sir Grimmsibald Femursworth
- Dave "Gruber" Allen - Frostferatu, Cold Foot, Gennystein Monster 1, Ice Gargoyle ("Transylbabies" only)
- Maria Bamford - Tara Byte 11.0
- Micky Dolenz - Wendell the Love Grub
- Johnny Yong Bosch  - Broccoli Punch, Brock L. Doccoli, Gruntion 1
- Paul Schrier - Flonk
- Victor Courtright - Mr. Flummocks, Amoeba
- Renie Rivas
- Rosearik Rikki Simons - Red Trollblin, Baby Kotassian, Kotassian 3, Borfl ("Get That Borfl" only), Magimobile ("Get That Borfl" only), Robo Tank
- Mark Fite - Blue Trollblin, Krazy Kotassian
- Haley Mancini - Witchy Sparkles, Aurora the Sorceress
- Robbie Rist - Frankie Jupiter
- Michaela Dietz - Danelda
- Gabrielle Sanalitro - Auto Style Magisword (credited as Gaby Sanaltrino)
- Bonnie Gordon - Barnacle 1, Narwhal Magisword, Dolphin-Chan
Mighty Magiswords premiered on Cartoon Network in Australia and New Zealand on January 16, 2016.
Chronological episode list
- The influences of Mighty Magiswords are The Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show, Animaniacs, Bob Clampett's Daffy Duck, Chuck Jones' Tom and Jerry, and Gravity Falls.
- The show is often compared with Slayers to the point where Cartoon Network Japan aired the anime back to back with Magiswords in marathons. Creator Kyle Carrozza confirmed that while he did see some of the anime back in the day, it had little influence on the show's premise and designs and stated that the Warriors' designs were influenced from Chrono Trigger and Celes from Final Fantasy.
- The shorts were animated in-house at the Cartoon Network Studios, while the series was outsourced to Malaysian animation studio Insipedia.
- According to Kyle Carrozza, the decision for the show to be in Flash came when the show got the greenlight and was given the opportunity to use the newly staffed in-house Flash crew for the shorts. When the series was greenlit for TV episodes, he was offered to move past Flash animation but choose to stick with Flash due to it's versatility on making spur of the moment changes, making additional content and due to the complications of the Magiswords designs. Although he is interested in animation quality similar to TMS and Startoons' work on Animaniacs or Carbunkle Cartoons' work on Ren & Stimpy, he knows realistically that it won't be an option for him.